Wednesday, February 4, 2009

CVS Deals, Coupon Policy, & Rainchecks!



I went to CVS this morning and had a very interesting trip... I actually learned quite a bit! First, though, Ill tell you about the deals I scored, then give you the all the details about my shopping trip.

Deals:
4 packages of Stayfree pads $3.99 each=$15.96
2 BodiHeat 3-pk of pads $3.99 each=$7.98
CVS Children's Chewable Aspirin 36 ct=$1.99
Extreme Energy Shot=$4.99
2 L'Oreal Hip Lip Glosses on clearance for $2.19 each=$4.38
Total=$35.30
Coupons used:
2 B1G1 Stayfree coupons=$7.98
2 $1 Stayfree coupons=$2
2 BodiHeat $1 coupons=$2
2 L'Oreal Hip $2 coupons=$4
Total Cost=$19.32 (Paid with ecb's)
Plus got back $20.98 worth of Ecb's... making all the above FREE!

Alright on to the details of my trip! The manager checked me out at CVS. While scanning my coupons he stopped and let me know that I would not be able to use my L'Oreal coupons since the items being purchased were on clearance. I looked a little puzzled and said this must be a new coupon policy. There was no one behind me, so I asked nicely if he could hold my purchases for a second. He looked confused, but said yes. I got my cell phone out and called CVS corporate- 1-800-746-7287 (I have their number programmed in my phone). I asked if their coupon policy had changed in regards to clearance items and explained that I was in CVS and was told that I couldn't use a manufacturer coupon on a clearance item. The lady on the phone told me that was wrong and I could, so the manager ended up speaking to her and letting me use my coupons. I walked out feeling like such an empowered consumer... maybe even a bit like a coupon diva too!:) My tip to all of you is to make sure you always have on hand corporate numbers for the stores you shop at most. They really do come in handy... as you can see!

For all of you that dont know how CVS rainchecks work, here is a little overview. The $5.99 L'Oreal towelettes and cleansers were both out of stock, the items I was hoping to purchase. The manager was able to write me a raincheck for 4, since you have to buy 2 L'Oreal products to get the Ecb and the limit is 2. He wrote on the raincheck Revitalift Cleansers or Towelettes, quantity 4 and then he wrote the sale price of $5.99. After that he stapled the the ad where it showed the $10 Ecb's for purchasing 2 L'Oreal products. Next week if the L'Oreal is back in stock I will be able to purchase it and show them the raincheck and then they will be able to manual print the $10 Ecb's! In my opinion rainchecks are like gold! Whenever items are out of stock at Walgreen's or CVS I always, always ask for a raincheck!

For more CVS Deals and CVS Coupons visit the new Hip2Save.com

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

You GO girl! Did you have to pick the manager's jaw up off the floor for him when he hung up the phone with corporate?? Impressive!

AO said...

Do you know if this is the same at Walgreens? I keep trying to get the Dry Idea deodarant deal, but they have been out of stock this week. They are 5.99 and get 5RR back. I haven't asked foraa rain check yet :) but I will try that when I go later this week.

Hip2Save said...

Kerri,
I have to say it was pretty funny watching his expression when I was talking to corporate. After I left I could not stop smiling! Im sure he doesn't want to see me again anytime soon... but we'll see!:)

Hip2Save said...

Walgreen's rainchecks for RR deals seem to vary depending upon the store you go to. I would just go to your local Walgreen's and see what they say. Let me know if you get a chance!

Anonymous said...

I had asked one time for a rain check on the item and if i can get the RR deal and the manager said they could not do it. Again , this is what she said. She was nice though. But with CVS is different

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to say , way to go Diva ! It is impressive :)

Anonymous said...

That's interesting that with a raincheck you still get the ECB. At my CVS, with a raincheck, you just get that many dollars off of the purchase...which I would rather have anyway!!
Maureen

Anonymous said...

I also got a raincheck for 2 of the L'Oreal cleansers. My cashier thought that she could only write me a raincheck for 2, not 4. I didn't argue with her, because I was thrilled to be able to get 2 of them with the ECBs coming too. I may stop at another CVS to get another raincheck later this week. Thanks for the heads-up that the limit is 4!

Hip2Save said...

Jennifer,
The limit is actually only 2. I hope I didn't confuse everyone. He wrote me a raincheck for 4 L'Oreal products, since you have to purchase 2 each to get the $10 Ecb. You will ONLY get 2 $10 Ecb's for buying 4 L'Oreal products, since the limit is just 2. You will not be able to buy any after that and still receive the Ecb.

Hope this all makes sense.

Mommy2aQT said...

THANK YOU for posting abou the rainchecks! I ALWAYS forget. With our CVS (very tiny) if you don't get there within the first 5 minutes of them opening their doors the deals are long gone and it'll be 2 months before they restock. PAIN! Of course I wait 20 minutes too long to get out the front door Sunday morning and all the face cleaner/wipes are gone. I'm going to go back now and ask for a raincheck, if it weren't for your post I would have given up. Also one question... how long are rainchecks good for? I have one from back in December and the item is still not stocked. Do they expire?

Hip2Save said...

The rainchecks never expire!!:) Even on the back of my raincheck it states they do not expire.

I always, always snag a raincheck when an item is out of stock.

Dizzy Vizzy said...

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that tip - I am going back to CVS to get the Loreal rainchecks!!

Cat;rina W said...

So if you get a rain check for an item with a weekly ecb deal attached to it, you still GET the ecbs even if it's the following week and the deal is finished? Am I understanding that right?

Hip2Save said...

Yes, thats correct!
When you go back and the Ecb deal is not available anymore they can still manually print an Ecb for you. This is what the manager told me.

Cat;rina W said...

I went to get the Loreal deal today and, of course, the face soaps were completely wiped out. So I went up to talk to the manager about a rain check. He's a very kind man and has always been courteous to me. I asked about getting the ECBs next week and he said they could not do that. So I'm wondering, does it kind of depend on the store? Or am I going about that wrong?

Thanks!

Hip2Save said...

Catrina,
They may issue rainchecks a little bit differently in each store. I'm still confused as to why he didn't give you a raincheck at all. Did he give you a reason? It seems like if the item you want is out of stock that you should be able to get a raincheck as well as the Ecb's when its back in stock.

amy and the bad cats said...

all of the cvs stores i went to today were out of the revitalift products. one, i didn't even bother to ask for a rain check. one told me he could write a raincheck for price less ECBs (so 99 cents each), but that wouldn't get me the benefit of using high value coupons. the third store told me she could write a raincheck for the sale price, but i wouldn't get the ECBs.

Cat;rina W said...

He said I could have the raincheck for the sale price, but that once the week was over, the ecbs would be finished and I would not get those. So I opted not to get the raincheck because the deal was only a good one WITH the ecbs. :(

KristaC said...

I just learned about CVS rainchecks a couple weeks ago when a friendly manager offered to write me one since I'd been in 3 times that week looking for a product. She told me they manually print the ECB's on their system. I would think all CVS' have that capability. ALthough, I know of some CVS stores just give you the sale price. However, I bet they al COULD print ECBs if they wanted.

As far as Walgreens goes, I was told that they could not write rainchecks for RR because they have no control over that once the sale is over...please...I could tell by talking to the manager that it's probably possible but they just prefer to be unfriendly to us couponers!

sassy stephanie said...

Found you through the Thrifty Mama!

Reading this interesting post and thought of something that happened to me a month or so ago. I was buying some makeup, and don't remember what brand but do remember the line being BOGO. I don't remember any specific items included/excluded in the sale. So, I pick up two clearance items and try to use my coupons as well. I was told that the clearance items are not included in the BOGO since they are already marked down. Ever had this happen?

Hip2Save said...

Hi Stephanie,

Yes, this has happened to me before. I think it depends on the store. I've noticed that CVS usually doesn't include their clearance products in the weekly sales. At Walgreens, though, I've snagged quite a few clearance cosmetics that sill rang up buy one get one free... so I guess it just kind of depends.

Amy Platon said...

Cute post on coupon organization envy:

I was strolling the isles of my grocery store, enjoying my child free advantage of taking my time, reading the labels, searching the deals, when “What do you think of that dog food?” floated into my thoughts.

I turned around. “My dog has lots of allergies and organic food is just too expensive. I was thinking of trying that one too. Have you used it?”

I looked down at what I was holding. It was the Rachael Ray Beefy-something-or-other Bits . “Oh,” I said, “My dog has allergies too so I just give him beef based food, no chicken. He likes this one pretty good. I’m really buying it because I have a $2.00 off coupon for it.” I said as I gestured at my accordion coupon-file.

The lady nodded and then referenced her coupons.

I couldn’t help but admire her system. This, I thought, was a professional. I knew they existed, but I had not seen one in the wild.

My eyes widened as she flipped through her photo album right to her dog food coupon section. Her system was flawless...

full post here: www.writer4rent.blogspot.com