Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Using What's on Hand: Tuna Noodle Casserole

I went to the grocery store 8 days ago (spending a little under $50) and have yet to go shopping since. I've found, though, that it has been kind of fun challenging myself to concoct creative dinners with what's on hand.

Last night I made a delicious tuna noodle casserole. Before you say that you don't like tuna... give this recipe a chance. I have picky kids and they absolutely loved this dish. This is a great recipe to use since you can substitute various other items you may have on hand. I used green beans, but you could use peas, carrots or any other veggies. I also used cream of celery soup. Instead,though, you could use cream of mushroom, chicken, broccoli and so on.

Tuna Noodle Casserole

INGREDIENTS
1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup frozen green beans or peas
2 cans tuna, drained
2 cans condensed cream of celery soup


DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil
Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until done; drain.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix noodles, onion, cheese, green beans, tuna, soup
Transfer to a baking dish
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven


Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks great and really easy. Thanks for planning my dinner tonight!:)

Anonymous said...

Our family version:
1 bag of egg noodles
2 small cream of ck soup
2 cans tuna
1/2 c. milk
1 can peas
salt & pepper

Cook the noodles first & drain. Mix the noodles and everything else together and back at 350 for 30 min.

So yummy ...I can't stop eating it!

Anonymous said...

I've done something similar, but replaced the tuna with ham cubes.

Anonymous said...

That sounds so yummy! In our house we have a favoriate recipe:
1 bag egg noodles
2 cans Golden Mushroom Soup
1 bag frozen peas
1 can tuna
1 package Huckory Smoked Tuna (use recent Vocal Point coupons!)
Swiss cheese

Cook noodles and drain.
Mix noodles with the rest of the ingredients.
Top with swiss cheese.
Bake @ 350 until bubbly.

We also like to serve ours with crescent rolls! YUM-O!!

Ange said...

I just made a very similiar dish for dinner tonight but I used cut up chicken and crm of chx soup instead. :) Then I put some breadcrumbs on top. Just kind of threw it together and it was actually yummy.